Sunday, October 2, 2011

Day 3: Just on auto mode...wow!


If one has never used a DSLR in one's life (and I have not), most pundits recommend that you use the camera just like an ordinary point and shooter to get familiar with it. In short, do not bother with all those buttons and what they do. Just click the "mode" button to auto (often marked in green with the letter A on it) and click away to see just what the camera can do. Basically, in this mode, the camera decides (like a good fella) what suits you best and takes the shot - it horrifies purists who demand control and would rather not depend on the judgement of a machine, but for 'orrible starters like me, it is a start and a good option for getting used to the camera and not getting too dispirited by terrible shots!

For, believe it or not, thanks to its innards - and they are VERY powerful innards, even in an entry-level DSLR, a DSLR can click much better pictures than a point and shooter. Let's put it in cricketing terms - a DSLR is like the complete batsman, who can bat equally comfortably, whether in Test cricket, one day cricket or even in T20 mode. Yes, it is bulkier than those uber sleek Cyber-shot cameras you see, but within that bulk resides enough matter to churn out jaw dropping pics.

Sounds hard to believe? Well, check out that picture of an eagle flying above the Oberoi Hotel in Delhi. Shot by Yours Truly. With a Canon EOS 600D. Nope, no adjusting. On auto focus. Did not even zoom. Click on it to see its larger version and you will even be able to make out the bird's beak and the outline of its feathers.

Yes, it is not perfect, but I have tried taking shots of birds with my previous point and shooters and nothing comes close to this in terms of clarity when you consider the distance from which the shot was taken and the fact that the bird was moving.

Makes you wonder why you need to mess around with all those buttons, eh? Well, more about them in the coming days. As of now, I am exploring in auto mode. And having more fun than I ever had with any camera.

2 comments:

  1. the writer should have been more regular; amitabh bachchan never goes to bed without completing his blog in bigadda.com every night in spite of his busy schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the concern. Flattered by the comparison. However, at the end of the day, sir, it is MY blog. The updates are up to me, and I will post when I feel I have something to say which is relevant. This is not a daily diary of my life general, but details of my usage of a particular device - if I have not used it, I will not write. My aim is to be relevant, not just fill pages. Maybe I am wrong, but that's the way I am. You are free not to read the blog.

    ReplyDelete